Jacob M. Stephens
Jacob is an experienced trial lawyer who has successfully represented business and individuals in state and federal courts across Texas.
In his practice, Jacob has litigated many commercial disputes in the real estate, construction, banking and insurance industries. His proven track record has resulted in Jacob being recognized as a Texas Rising Star Super Lawyer for business litigation by Thompson Reuters each year from 2014 through 2023.
Jacob has represented insurance agencies, real estate owners, brokers, agents, property management companies, and health care providers in various business litigation including Texas Insurance Code and deceptive trade practice claims, real estate and title issues, professional liability, breach of contract and collections, negligence and premises liability, fraud and fiduciary law, trade secret theft, covenants not to compete or solicit and other employment claims.
Jacob is a Charter Fellow Member of the Construction Lawyers Society of America.
In the construction industry, Jacob regularly represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors and sureties on a wide variety of construction related issues. His representative experience includes contract issues, mechanic’s liens, contractual and statutory indemnity, payment and performance bonds, construction defects, and contract termination in both the public and private sectors.
Jacob also has extensive experience defending national and regional financial institutions, as well as private lenders and loan servicers against claims brought by consumers and borrowers under various theories of liability, including breach of contract, conversion, deceptive trade practices, fraud, negligence, wrongful foreclosure, FCRA, FDCPA, as well as a variety of Texas Uniform Commercial Code claims.
- BA, 2005, North Central College
- JD, 2008, South Texas College of Law
- Member of the Order of the Lytae
- Houston Bar Association – Construction and Consumer & Commercial Sections
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- Trial Law Institute
- Diversity Law Institute
- All Texas State Courts (Bar No. 24066143)
- S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- S. District Court for the Western District of Texas