Direct: (713) 333-2935
Jacob M. Stephens
Jacob is an experienced trial lawyer who has successfully represented business and individuals in state and federal courts across Texas.
In his practice, Jacob has litigated many commercial disputes in the real estate, construction, banking and insurance industries. His proven track record has resulted in Jacob being recognized as a Texas Rising Star Super Lawyer for business litigation by Thompson Reuters in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Jacob has represented insurance agencies, real estate owners, investors, brokers and agents, property management companies, and health care providers in various business litigation including Texas Insurance Code and deceptive trade practice claims, real estate and title issues, professional liability, breach of contract and collections, negligence and premises liability, fraud and fiduciary law, trade secret theft, covenants not to compete or solicit and other employment claims.
In the construction industry, Jacob regularly represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors and sureties on a wide variety of construction related issues. His representative experience includes contract issues, mechanic’s liens, contractual and statutory indemnity, payment and performance bonds, construction defects, and contract termination in both the public and private sectors.
Jacob also has extensive experience defending national and regional financial institutions, as well as private lenders and loan servicers against claims brought by consumers and borrowers under various theories of liability, including breach of contract, conversion, deceptive trade practices, fraud, negligence, wrongful foreclosure, FCRA, FDCPA, as well as a variety of Texas Uniform Commercial Code claims.
- Won take nothing jury verdict in state court in Texas on behalf of owner/developer of condominium project on breach of contract and payment claims brought by general contractor.
- Won take nothing bench trial verdict in state court in Houston on behalf of commercial tenant on breach of contract claims asserted by commercial landlord.
- Defended an owner and property management company at a jury trial in state court in Houston. Jury returned a verdict generally favorable to clients on various claims asserted by tenant, including breach of contract, conversion, and gross negligence.
- Won summary judgment in state court in Houston in favor of insurance agency on all claims asserted by Plaintiff, including claims for insurance code violations, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, and violations of the DTPA.
- Won dismissal in federal court in the Eastern District of Texas on Plaintiff employee’s ADA and age discrimination and retaliation claims brought against health care company employer.
- Won six figure judgment in state court in Dallas on behalf of commercial landlord against commercial tenant for breach of contract claims.
- Won summary judgment in district court in Houston in favor of landlord and property management company on all claims asserted by tenant’s family, including premises liability and wrongful death claims.
- Won summary judgment in district court in Houston in favor of real estate broker and agent on all claims asserted by purchaser of real property, including fraud, negligent misrepresentation, violations of the DTPA and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Won numerous summary judgments in various state courts throughout Texas on behalf of financial institutions and loan servicers on customers’ and borrowers’ claims including breach of contract, conversion, DTPA, fraud, negligent misrepresentation and UCC claims.
- BA, 2005, North Central College
- JD, 2008, South Texas College of Law
- Member of the Order of the Lytae
- Houston Bar Association – Construction and Consumer & Commercial Sections
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- All Texas State Courts (Bar No. 24066143)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas